Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Layered Pumpkin Cake

Today marks the beginning of my recipe series. I'm hoping to have a new, wholesome, real, nutrient packed recipe for you every Tuesday. It will not always be gluten free & if it isn't, it will still be a low glycemic recipe where it won't spike insulin levels.
the first recipe I'm sharing got rave reviews over Thanksgiving, I made it for Andy's family & my own.
 
 
Pumpkin Layered Cake
 
4 eggs, well beaten
1 cup organic butter, melted
1 cup cooked pumpkin, pureed
2 cups raw cane sugar
1/2tsp. Himalayan sea salt
2tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. aluminum free baking powder
2 cups sprouted einkorn flour (or sprouted spelt)
1 cup chopped pecans
 
Beat 4 eggs & slowly add melted butter, add remaining wet ingredients & mix well. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients & sift. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
For a double layered cake, use the recipe as is & divide into to 8in. round pans. If you want a four layered cake & the 'wow factor,' double the recipe & divide into 4 -8in. round pans.
 
I doubled the recipe for the cake above, used 3 layers & let the kiddos dig into the fourth :)
 
 
Cream Cheese Icing
 
8oz. organic cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick organic butter, room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cup raw cane sugar, ground finely
just enough raw organic milk to make it spreadable
 
Blend cream cheese & butter well. Add the ground, raw cane sugar & vanilla. Add just enough raw organic milk till spreadable consistency. Spread Icing between each layer & cover the cake then sprinkle the chopped pecans on top & around the sides.
 
 
I refrigerated the cake due to the cream cheese. Just make sure to allow enough time for the cake to come to room temperature before serving. It is super moist & delicious!!! Enjoy!
 

 


4 comments:

  1. Where do u get ur organic butter and cream cheese? Sara Keim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually wud u mind posting where u get sugar and flour salt etc if it's different than usual:) thanks Sara Keim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara Keim, Most of my baking items I buy in bulk at a local health food store-New Horizon Naturals. You can get the raw cane sugar, sprouted spelt, & organic butter there...not sure if they have organic cream cheese. I also do a lot of my grocery shopping at Trader Joes & Whole foods. The raw cane sugar is very coarse when you buy it. When I get it home, I run it through my blender & it becomes much finer. The einkorn is harder to find, I just had New Horizon Naturals order 11lbs of the berries for me to grind myself, I don't believe they carry it in the store though. I hope this was helpful :)

    ReplyDelete