Friday, October 3, 2014

In my Kitchen Today: Perfect(every time)Homemade Bread


My mom messaged me last night, asking if I would have time to make a batch of homemade bread for her. I was planning to make some today anyway, why not make enough for her as well...

You can use sprouted grains, whole wheat or white flour with this recipe & it will be perfect every time. Just don't supplement, change out or eliminate  any of the other ingredients or you will get a flop. And follow the recipe precisely. 

If you own the cookbook "Healthy Choices" It's the recipe on page 57. If not, then I have it here for you...
Perfect Whole Wheat Bread
4 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup honey
3 Tbs. instant yeast
2 Tbs. lecithin granules(non GMO)
2 heaping Tbs. wheat gluten
2 Tbs. sea salt
12-14 cups whole wheat flour(I use fresh milled spelt)
-In my mixer, I add the first 7 ingredients in the order given. Mix lightly to incorporate all the ingredients. Then add 5 cups flour & mix till flour is all incorporated. Now mix 6 cup more flour & mix on low till well mixed. Keep adding flour by 1/2 cup-fulls till dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. knead on low speed for 10 minutes then let rest for 5 minutes. 
-I use the small bread pans from Wal-mart. They sell for under 1.00 & they are a perfect loaf size. Divide dough into 5 parts. Roll out each part till about 1/2 inch thickness, then roll it up, tucking the ends in as you go. Place in a well greased bread pan.
-place inside the oven(turned off & closed) for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn oven to 300' leaving loaves inside. bake for approximately 30 minutes till golden brown.

I've been making this bread recipe weekly(or more) for about 6 months & have never had it flop(except when I've tried to change it up) 
It's dense, super soft, & we even used it in place of hotdog buns this summer, when we had cookouts. 
It won't get crumbly  & fall apart, not even when wrapped around a hotdog :)

A little tip my mom passed on to me: "Rainy days are the best days to bake good homemade bread. the extra moisture in the air helps the bread to rise beautifully"

Happy, Rainy, Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment