Wednesday, August 27, 2014

In my kitchen today: oatmeal-pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal-chocolate chip bars & baked granola bars

I spend A LOT of time in my kitchen. We are a family of 7, with 2 of us having special food needs, requiring me to make 90% of our food from scratch. 
When we started changing our eating habits, I was one stressed out Mama! First we were told sprouted grains were okay, then we needed to go gluten free(for the Husband)  Nothing made sense & I had so many recipes flop that I came to loathe any kind of cooking or baking!
As I've come to learn how different ingredients work together & I'm finding tried & true recipes that turn out delicious every time, my love of cooking & baking has returned.
"In my kitchen today" will be where I share some of these recipes.
We started out using sprouted grains, then found out Husband wasn't supposed to have any grains at all so a lot of the recipes will be using fresh ground whole wheat or spelt cause that is what every one else prefers.
Here are a few things that came from my kitchen today...

Chewy granola bars/baked
1 2/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
1/3 cup fresh ground spelt flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup dried fruit, nuts or chocolate chips(I use 1/2 cup of each)
 -grease baking pan & line with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper as well. Press dough evenly/firmly  into the pan. bake at 325' for 20-25 minutes.
-I double this recipe for our family.-Our favorite combo is dark chocolate chips, dried sweet cherries & pecan pieces.



Oatmeal-chocolate chip bars
1 cup butter
2 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 cup fresh ground peanut butter
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
4 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal(NOT instant)
-spread dough on a greased cookie sheet & bake at 350' till tooth pick comes out clean.
-don't overbake, they will become dry.
-if you add M & M's, you've got "monster cookie bars"


Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies - these cookies are to die for!! My new favorite pumpkin cookies!
Oatmeal-pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

You can find the recipe here. I substituted a few of the ingredients. This is my version of the recipe.
2 1/2 cup fresh ground spelt
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 3/4 tsp. cinnamon 
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cup coconut sugar
2/3 cup cane sugar crystals
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup pumpkin, pureed
1 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup pecan pcs.
-cream together butter & sugar, add eggs & remaining ingredients. let sit for 15 minutes before placing by TBS onto cookie sheet. bake at 350' till just golden brown.

And there you have it. A few sweet treats for your Wednesday! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment