Saturday, January 4, 2014

When the Holidays are stressful...

Disclaimer; This one might be a bit of a downer, but when life feels hard... if I put it all in writing & off my chest, so to speak, It makes it ok again...
 
 
This year the Holidays were hard. They were stressful...
 
I love time spent with Family & friends & reconnecting with people you don't see often, but with all gatherings of large groups of people...THERE IS ALWAYS FOOD.
 
Not that food is a bad thing, but my family has specific dietary needs & there is always that question of "is this ok to eat" or "can I have that"...it's hard. I want them to be able to enjoy the holiday, I want them to be able to eat "the good stuff" but that's not always an option, so I find myself wanting to make the entire meal or taking half of my pantry along in order to provide variety so the ones I love can have special things to eat on special days too...Unless you are ever put in a position such as this yourself, it's hard to understand the magnitude of it.
 
 
It can also be something you become a slave to & I've said from the very beginning that I don't want that to happen, that I will do my best & God will do the rest...
 
 
...Then there's the added stress of little ones. We love them fiercely & couldn't imagine our lives without them...at the stage we are at with the littles, there are bedtimes & nap times & if they are skipped or cut short...well, if you're a parent reading this then I don't even need to explain that one...
 
I really looked forward to the Holidays this year, thinking they would help to take our minds off everything we are dealing with in our lives right now, but the holidays seemed to magnify all of that instead of helping us to forget.
 
If you are reading this right now & we come off as stressed or irritable at times...I apologize. We have a lot on our plates right now & it's not always easy to wear the mask of a smile & pretend all is right with our world cause it's not. Our world has been turned up side down & inside out & it's hard. It's frustrating & nothing is normal.
Pray that we could find some normalcy in the chaos...show grace to our children when there are outbursts of emotions...their world has been turned upside down as well. Pleas don't look at them (or us) with faces of "don't you teach them anything?!" because that hurts & it's not helpful (and it happens often).
 
There can be a whole week of good days...then there are some really hard days. There is never a warning for the bad days & we don't know what triggers them. We are going through some hard days this week so please say an extra prayer for us-thank you.
 
God doesn't give us more than what He is willing & able to give the grace we need to get through it...We are trusting His timing & His purpose in all of this. If we didn't have God, all this would seem impossible. But He is our strength & that is why we take one day at a time & trust that He knows what is best for us...
G'night...

No comments:

Post a Comment